A chimney fire can be a frightening experience that can not only be dangerous to your property but it also can be a health hazard for you and your family. You should know what steps to take to minimize any damage should one of these fires occur. Preparedness goes a long way in keeping your home and family safe from any harm. Having the right equipment on hand and a plan in place can help to give to peace of mind in case of a chimney fire. These tips apply to anyone using an open source of heat inside their home as they will teach you how to extinguish a chimney fire.
Step One – Safety Comes First. At the first sign of a chimney fire, you evacuate everyone from the building. Access the situation to make sure it’s safe for you to fight the fire yourself. Use heat-proof gloves to tackle the fire.
Step Two – Starve the Fire’s Oxygen. Pour sand or baking soda onto the fire. This starves the fire’s oxygen keeping it from flaring up and builds any intensity.
Step Three – Time for the Fire Extinguisher. Just to be safe, use the fire extinguisher as well. Aim the nozzle towards the fire grate. Spray in short burst to make sure that any embers that are still glowing are completely out. Never stand too close when using an extinguisher as the pressure can push embers into the air.
Step Four – Cover the Fire. Cover up the coals or logs with a metal sheet. A metal trash can lid or an old oven tray would work great. Just be careful because of even if the fire is out. The surrounding areas still may be hot.
Step Five – Close the Fireplace Doors. If you use a wood burner or the type of fireplace with iron or glass doors, close them once the fire has been extinguished. This prevents the fire from flaring up by depriving it of the oxygen it needs. This will limit its chances of a flare up.
Step Six – Hose down your chimney‘s stack. When you feel the fire is out, go outside and hose down your entire chimney stack. If you have high pressure attachment uses it so you can control water. Never attempt to climb up onto your roof.
Step Seven – Call for Professional Help. You should never take any chances when it comes to matters like this. If you have any doubt. Just call your local fire department. It’s better to be safe than sorry.